« Home | Harmonicas & Ukuleles » | Dribbling on myself... » | Life amongst the hermit crabs... » | Peace & Love & Randy » | Fruit & alcohol... » | Attack of the Sci-Fi Keyboard Effect » | SuperDave IS super ! » | Oddities & Endiness » | This is Pat. » | The Beginning - Twister » 

Friday, August 24, 2007

There can't be much more... can there?

This past week was busy busy for Screaming Mimes. First off we had a great time at our August 11th show at Great American Ball Park. Super kudos to those who made it - we love you and all that sweat was just for you. It was a scorcher but that didn't prevent us from tearing it up on stage. You can check out the results here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLS9-JaS5yk

Massive loads of love to Billy & Alex from Mind Ignition who slaved like dogs to give us the best monitor mix ever. I wish everyone was as talented & committed as you guys. Scott Preston showed up too armed with his camera and took some great shots.
http://www.cincyphotos.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=8286




After the show we stuck around for the Reds game - great time. They scored a lot of runs so my family was happy. I'm still wiping the sweat off the guitars.

Last Thursday, the 16th Randy & myself met up at the studio to work on the drum sound for Everything To Me and tweak some parts for Suddenly. I added a neat mandolin part - that's two mandolin songs on the album. Next one I'll hit four! Just don't ask me to play it live. We got the snare popping and the cymbals swishing (in a totally manly way) for Everything To Me. Huzzah!

Sunday the 19th we met up again for a marathon session for Pretty Soon Now. Unfortunately, I had spent the majority of the day bouncing out session files of my guitar parts... only to have the power go out mid-DVD burn. Very frustrating. But what are you going to do - the power was out for several blocks. I can't scribe the data on a DVD... so I threw my percussion bag together and headed to the studio, sans guitar parts.

Randy & I quickly got to work dubbing a bit of percussion on She's Waiting - some nice special touches to the verse, I think you'll like. Then we set up his tiny Octava (sp?) mic to record the ukulele. If you read this blog regularly you know about my crush on my Uke. I've been envisioning playing the album closer Pretty Soon Now on the ukulele since it was first written and today was the day to finally try it out. Suffice to say, it sounded great. I'd never played all the way through the song before so Randy was very patient with my mistakes, but the end results were fantastic.

Satisfied, we added some tamborine, djembe, and bells to various sections of the song. The drums sound so fantastic on this one - Jim really nailed it down. Preston's bass parts are a thrill. This is going to be one of the strongest things we've ever done.

Randy is out in LA for a few more days so I'm going to tweak some vocal harmonies and then we'll add in all these parts to Pretty Soon Now. After that... maybe one more session? Hopefully? Everything is pointed towards a good fall release.

Cheers Cheers Cheers!

Dave

E-mail this post



Remenber me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Add a comment