« Home | I could do that... » | Can you sign this? » | Vacation, all I ever wanted... » | Chicken, Booze & Sunshine » | Vocals vocals vocals... » | Take me out... » | Dragon! » | creative spelunking » | Made it! » | I get by... » 

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Do re me fossil...

Last night was a late-night vocal session with Randy. Started around 7:30 and went until 1:00. Lots of singing, laughing, and mixing. After some pizza and a little Bengals pre-season (good for the voice!) we got to work on "Superdave", loading the guitar solo and new keyboard track I did the previous night. Randy liked my futzing on the keyboard enough to paste it all over - what was a dorky throw-away has become an important part of the song. We played with the drums sounds and mixed out some of the overwelming guitars (seemed like a fun idea at the time) and then started laying a low harmony to the chorus. Thick!
"Suddenly" was next, bringing in the new guitar solos. Randy was pleased with it, which was good. This song has really taken off the past few sessions... I'm surprised at how dynamic and engaging it's turning out. Lots of color. This will be a bear to mix... the harmonies on the chorus sound very lush.
We did harmonies for "Happening", quick and simple... just a lot of it! This is the song that needed an additional verse when we went to record the lead. Somehow during the back track I was convinced that we had an extra verse in there. 'Doh! It all sounds good and the words, despite their random assembling, tie together nicely.
"Sleeping With The Emily" was a tax on both of our voices. I hope the results sound as good as we imagine it in our heads. This song just rises above everything I've ever written.
"SHE" was a quick recording, with some additional harmonies (call and response during the last verse, big three part on the bridge) added at the last minute. Before we left Randy threw together a CD with "Superdave" & "Suddenly" on it... very exciting to be getting closer to the final product!

E-mail this post



Remenber me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Add a comment