« Home | Recording-palooza » | Hello blogger my old friend... » | I approved this message... » | L-uuuuuuuuuuuuuuh-ve » | Ducks uncovered... » | Do re me fossil... » | I could do that... » | Can you sign this? » | Vacation, all I ever wanted... » | Chicken, Booze & Sunshine » 

Friday, November 10, 2006

Mixin' it up...

Last night was more of our run-of-the-mill mixing session. Randy and I tackled some tweaks on "Only Love" first. Mixing down a tamborine overdub and tweaking a few levels. "Happening" was next - a song that hasn't been touched since it's last guitar overdub (of many!). The mix came together rather quickly thanks to Randy's familiarity with the session - by applying some effects and levels from the "Suddenly" session it sounded pretty darn good out of the gate. There is a LOT of instrumentation in this song - big thick chimey guitars color most of the verses. The chorus sounds very cool, very prog rock. Randy liked the backwards-toms effect I futzed with in the middle. We played with some delay effects on the chorus and within an hour or so had a mix that sounded pretty nice.
"Twister" was next - hopefully the final tweaks on this one. It has a lot of power and we're playing close attention to it as it is (nearly) the album opener. We want it to knock your socks off.
"On The Way Back Home I Wrote A Song For You" was next - a short acoustic piece that we recorded to set the tone of the album - and then completely smash it to bits. Almost like putting "Her Majesty" at the beginning of Abby Road (if the Beatles had done that, which they didn't - but if they did it would be kinda like that... but different). It's made up of me on acoustic, Preston's fretless bass, some chimey swirly guitar by Randy, and Jim, Preston and I on tamborine, shaker, and wacking-on-a-vinyl-chair-with-a-pair-of-brushes, respectively. I hope this makes the album and works as I envision... if not, then into the dustbin it goes!
So, did you listen to the increasingly out of date but still really cool mix if Twister on our myspace page yet? Yeah? Will, go there now and listen some more!

E-mail this post



Remenber me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Add a comment