« Home | Can I get some Summer here? » | You call this archeology? » | MIMES GONE WILD » | "Gather 'round lads... 'Smell The Glove' is here!" » | That was PERFECT! Let's do it again... » | Yes, Master! » | I'm Multi-tasking! » | Go Mime Yourself » | Horns of Plenty » | Trouble Brewin'? Pass me some! » 

Monday, May 26, 2008

A dear friend struck down

We've been lucky in this band to be in Cincinnati, surrounded by such talented friends who make us better. A little over 10 years ago I was trying to re-enter the music world after a long self-imposed "strike" from bands and performing (and an unwelcome drought in writing) and one of the first shows I went to featured Katie Reider. I was dumbstruck and spellbound by her talent. Her writing, singing & general stage presence seemed unlike anything I had ever witnessed in this town. I purchased whatever albums I could that night and was truly inspired to new levels of my own creativity.

I met her a few months later I saw her after another show and told her just that. She seemed taken aback by my rabid fandom but was gracious. After a few more run-ins (I still remember the night, climbing down from a stage as she was getting up, she complimented my on my Rickenbacker - joy!) we finally had the chance to spend some time together when a show of hers was rained out. I took her band on a tour of the facility they were going to play and we all bemoaned the fact that the weather hadn't participated. I wanted to engage her in conversation again about what a talented songwriter she is, how emotional her voice is, how her songs continue to inspire... but thankfully we kept the conversation to the friendly and mundane. A few days later she sent a signed 8x10 of her and the band - I think she knew how hard I was restraining myself to not embarrass her.

Over a year ago I first read that Katie had disbanded the band and moved to New York... only to be diagnosed with a mysterious tumor. At first I imagined that we'd go through a period a shaven Katie, perhaps some sad months where she recovered, but then she'd be up and about and taking over the music world and I'd see her on Austin City Limits or hear her on a hit movie soundtrack and think "I knew her when"... but this isn't the way it happened. Katie is fighting for her life. This tumor has taken away her left eye, her physical strength, several of her teeth, and now it has robbed her voice. A year of chemo and therapy has led to small victories and heartbreaking changes... but through everything Katie has kept blogging and letting her fans know that she is determined to live through this. I quote from her blog:
Here we go. I have since undergone 2 chemo treatments since my last blog. Each of them required at 4 day stay at the hospital. Needless to say, I am eager to get home. I am very tired but seem to be handling the second round better than the first. The reason we went ahead with round two was because my MRI scan showed the chemo was shrinking the tumor! YAHOO. The news that came shortly after that was that I have now lost vision in my left eye. They are pretty certain it is permanent. This was hard at first to accept, but I am okay and will love looking at life one eye if that is all I have! I just want to live. SO, shrink that tumor, and lose eyes site in one eye.. worth the trade off.


Why share all this with you? Because Katie's fans have launched a website to help raise money for these increasingly expensive treatments, but it won't succeed without the help of everyone. www.500kin365.org is offering a 9 song download for $1.00. The goal is to spread this donation offer around to enough people to make a serious positive impact on Katie's expenses. And you get a return give of incredible music.

Please pass this information on to as many people as you can. Fans of music, fans of life... everyone you know... anyone who might have a dollar to spare for 9 songs and a beautiful soul.

I hope and pray that a year from now we're all celebrating the good news of Katie's vibrant health... and remembering this period as a time when we knew her when.

http://www.500kin365.org


Dave

PS: As an added bonus, shoot me an email at dave@screamingmimes.com after you've donated and I'll email you my favorite "Katie-inspired" song demo from way back when...

E-mail this post



Remenber me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Add a comment